Is your temporary overdraft support coming to an end? Click here
Temporary arranged overdraft support
Information you need to know
In October 2022 we introduced some temporary support so you can pay less for arranged overdraft borrowing on our 1st Account.
If you're with us and have an arranged overdraft (one you have agreed in advance), you'll already know we don't charge interest on the first £250. Now, you can also opt in to our temporary support which means we won't charge you interest on your arranged overdraft up to and including £500 for 12 months. But the opt in period is ending soon.
Just so you know:
- you can only opt in to this temporary support if you already have an arranged overdraft of £250 or more
- after the 12 months is over, your overdraft will go back to it's standard charges (see table below for details).
- you have until 26 October 2023 to request this support and cannot re- apply if you’ve already had the support.
How do I ask for the temporary support?
Just fill out our short online form. As part of this you’ll need to confirm your:
- name and address
- sort code
- account number
If you don't have your sort code and account number to hand, you can find these on your debit card, statements or the account summary screen in of our App or Online Banking.
If your overdraft is on a joint account, only 1 of you needs to complete the form but please make sure you have the other account holder’s permission before submitting it.
Once we’ve processed your request, we’ll be in touch as soon as possible. This could take up to 7 working days as we’re expecting a lot of requests, so please bear with us.
Just so you know:
- we'll let you know by email or letter but we won’t be able to tell you over the phone.
- if your mailing preference is set to paper, it could take up to 3 weeks to receive your confirmation letter.
If you need help with this form, please contact us.
What if my overdraft support is due to end?
We’ll get in touch before the end of the 12-months to remind you when your support will be ending.
After the 12-months is over, we’ll start to apply our standard overdraft pricing again. Here’s a reminder of what that is:
|Current account||Interest free amount||Interest rate above the free amount
|Current accountOverdraft pricing after the 12-month period||Interest free amount£250||Interest rate above the free amount39.9% EAR variable
Representative example: 0% EAR (variable) on the first £250, 39.9% EAR (variable) on anything above that, giving a representative annual percentage rate (APR) of 30.5% APR (variable). Based on an arranged overdraft of £1,200.
It’s worth bearing in mind these rates won’t apply if you have an account with a ‘negotiated rate’ (where we’ve agreed a different rate for your overdraft with you).
Use our overdraft calculator to find out how much an overdraft through your 1st Account could cost over a period of up to 31 days.
Overdraft Cost Calculator
Where can I get help or advice?
If you’re worried about your overdraft, head over to our money worries page for more information and guidance, or call our dedicated Financial Support team who are here to help.
Call 03 456 100 188
We’re here Mon to Fri 8am to 6pm and Sat 8am to 4pm.
You can also get free independent advice from:
- StepChange Debt Charity: visit their website Opens an overlay [Will show a security message first] or call 0800 138 1111
- Money Helper: visit their website Opens an overlay [Will show a security message first] or call 0800 138 7777
- National Debtline: visit their website Opens an overlay [Will show a security message first] or call 0808 808 4000
- Citizens Advice: visit their website Opens an overlay [Will show a security message first] or call 03 444 111 444