This page was last updated on: 8 Dec 2021
How we help everyone to use our website
We follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 which are an internationally recognised set of recommendations for improving online accessibility.
Here are a few of the things we do:
- as well as images, we use text so people who can’t see an image can read it
- we have transcripts for all our videos
- we only use strong colour contrasts (we’ve always tried to make things black and white)
- all our headings are optimised for screen readers
- when we have links we try to explain what to expect (we don't use 'click here')
- when we use tables they’re laid out clearly with headings and captions
The browsers and operating systems we support
Using Online Banking is straightforward - all you need is a PC, Mac, smartphone or tablet with an internet connection of 2Mb/s (download speed) or higher and one of the following browsers:
- Chrome version 87 or later
- Edge version 87 or later
- Firefox version 84 or later
- Safari version 13 or later
If you’re using a mobile device, ideally it should also be running on the following operating system:
- iOS 14 or later
- Android 9 or later
At the moment we don't support devices with Android Go.
Browser and operating system updates are normally available free of charge from the relevant provider. It’s also worth bearing in mind we may update these lists from time to time as the software and security options change.
Tips for users with a visual disability
Keep up to date with the latest accessibility tips for mobile devices at Apple Opens an overlay [Will show a security message first] and Android Opens an overlay [Will show a security message first].
Our website and Online Banking are compatible with the personalisation settings you can use to make your browser easier to navigate eg:
- zooming in or out on a web page or your computer screen
- changing the colour or font settings
- using a screen reader
For some helpful tips on how to make your computer or device easier to use you can visit AbilityNet Opens an overlay [Will show a security message first].
You can also access free screen readers:
- for Windows by visiting nvaccess.org Opens an overlay [Will show a security message first]
- VoiceOver comes automatically with Mac OS X mobile and desktop operating systems - for more information visit apple.com/accessibility/vision Opens an overlay [Will show a security message first]